Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6th, 2011

Dear Damen Robert,

Yesterday you scared the LIVING shit out of me. You are to never pull something like that EVER again. Before your nap you were perfectly yourself. Before you laid down to sleep we were watching Elmo and the Bookaneers and eating snacks. When you woke up, you made my heart stop.
I heard you squiggling around and it was the right time for you to be waking up. You were a little sad, but nothing that can't be caused by waking up from a nightmare about empty sippy cups or scary things of that nature. We headed out to the living room and I tried to show you Toy Story 3. You would not have it. You wouldn't even look at it. The fussing continued. I thought to myself, who the heck wouldn't want to watch Toy Story? So... we headed down to get some water and you started making a gagging sound. I tried telling you it was okay and to just get it out. Water seemed like a good decision, but you were starting to get lethargic.
Five minutes later you were fighting to stay conscious, and I was on the phone freaking out at your poor daddy. You were laid out on the ground, staring off into space. Your breathing was shallow and your usually pink puffy lips were as pale as your skin. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. My brain was going crazy. Am I going to have to do CPR on my child right now? Why can't I get off the phone and call a damn ambulance? You started to drift back and forth between space and whining. There was no car seat, so your dad rushed home from clinicals and took us back to the ER of the hospital he had been at all day.
While in the car, you said your first words since you had woken up. "Hi daddy". This was such a relief and I finally caught a breath. After getting checked in at the emergency room, you were your happy, destructive little self again. Three hours later, the doctor said it was early pneumonia or bronchitis. Sure. Your father and I decided not to get blood work done or the IV fluids they wanted to push, because you were our little boy again. Now since we've been home I've been kicking myself in the ass for that. What if something major is going on that the blood work could have shown the doctor?
Baby boy, I don't know what happened to you yesterday, but it was one of the scariest moments of my life. You are never allowed to do anything of this sort EVER again. Please be okay.
I can't wait for you to wake up from your nap so we can play.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment