Saturday, September 6, 2014

September 6th, 2014

Dear Damen Robert,

You are so incredibly handsome and smart. Today out of nowhere, you decided to spend the entire morning sounding out and writing words. You're growing up so quickly. When I look into those oceans of eyes I can see you metamorphosing. You are the same person, but constantly and consistently shedding who you were the day before. Each morning you wake with a fresh skin of new knowledge and curiosity, new dreams. You amaze me.

You held the door open for a stranger at the mall. She called you a gentleman. You stood there, glowing.

We played "I spy". I guessed what you picked on the first try, so you quickly looked around the room for something else that could have been brown. "No, Mom. It was the table!"

We talked about safety. You know, the basic stuff first. How do we cross the road? Who do we call if we need help in an emergency? What are Mommy and Daddy's phone numbers? Then casually and intermittently I'd sneak in the big ones, like not helping strangers if they ask for help. We don't take things from strangers unless Mom and Dad say it's okay. Our genitals are only for you, or sometimes Mom, Dad, and the doctor to make sure you are healthy. These talks aren't easy to have with a five year old. There's no easy transition into teaching you that the world is not as safe and friendly as it should be. Teaching a five year old boy that thinks everyone in the world is his best friend, that there are people out there that search out people to hurt, is heart breaking.

Being a parent is hard.

I love you forever baby boy,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment