Friday, April 12, 2013

April 12th, 2012

Dear Damen Robert,

We just came back in from the park at our apartments. I fear so much for your world. The world you are growing up in, and the world you are going to have to live in.

There were a couple six or seven year old boys playing on the playground. They didn't know I was within ear shot as you were trying to climb a tree with them. (I could hear you, but not them.)

One ran up to me and told me you had said the "f word". EXCUSE ME!?

First of all, you have never heard that word, so the only way you could have repeated it is if they had just said it.

I explained this to them, and they were quick to blame each other. "Well they say it!" One said, as he pointed to a group of teenagers. They also called you dumb when you didn't know what 15+2 was. That's when we walked away.

I realize I can't shield you from asshole little kids your whole life.  I realize you will have to deal with jerks in one form or another for your entire life.

I want you to know, just because some kid is being mean to you doesn't mean you have to stand there and take it. Step away, you're too good for them. You don't even need to acknowledge them. Give them a raised eyebrow and walk away.

You are smart, funny, handsome, and all around amazing. People are going to try and cut you down your entire life. Don't dwell on it or let it bother you baby, that shit isn't worth it. Those people aren't worth it.

I love you forever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment